Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goodbye, 2012!

2012 was the longest and shortest year of my life. Since I've been in Korea now for over a year, it seems like it's dragging at a snail's pace, yet I can't believe that an entire year has passed since moving here.

Like I've mentioned before, this life I lead isn't a stressful one. Teaching abroad is simply an escape from real life for a while. My Facebook news feed is full of "real life" and each day I'm glad I'm still not yet a part of it. I'm not scared or running away from anything, I'm just really and truly enjoying my child-free, nomadic lifestyle. This past year, I've seen many of my hometown friends and acquaintances have children and every single time I think, "Thank God that's not me".  Not that I'm not completely elated for each and every one of them (I am), I would just feel so absolutely and utterly trapped if I were to have children anytime soon. I love knowing that I have no one to take care of except for myself (and occassionally Al) and the only life I am responsible for is my own. Call it selfish if you will, I just call it having a really great, care-free time. I'm not going to say that one day I won't want children, I would just rather spend my extra money on going to Bangkok or London than on diapers and onesies and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

2012 had way more ups than downs and I have my friends here in Busan to thank for that. These last few months have been some of the best of my entire life and it's because I've finally let myself fully enjoy what life decided to put in front of me. No more holding back. It's taken me what seems like quite a few years to understand what thoroughly enjoying life really entails, but I feel like I'm definitely getting to that point. I live a pretty unique life and I'll have a lot of amazing stories to be telling at my 10 year reunion thanks to my huge balls to up and move overseas a few years ago. I've seen some incredible places and met some extraordinary people this year and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm not sure what 2013 will have in store for me but I'm hoping it will involve a lot of travelling. I think this will be my last year of teaching and there are still many more places I'm dying to see with my own eyes before moving on home. Anything could happen this coming year, but as long as I follow my instincts, which have been pretty good so far, I think I'll be happy. And really, isn't that all anyone asks out of life?

Here's to 2013, let's see what you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment